Monday, July 23, 2012

Not My Dissertation


Many anonymous people out there keep a blog as a kind of creative outlet or alternative life-world. Mine is no different. Slowly but surely I've been investing in a variety of print publications that delight and inform the part of my mind that tends to shut down during the daily 9-5. 

Kinfolk Magazine sure has been getting a lot of press. On the one hand, I like what this work stands for- local, sustainable communities; good friends and food; and a recognizably urban rustic aesthetic. On the other hand, I feel a little suspicious about how it idealizes a lifestyle that is both commercial and artificial but not apparently so. I bought my copy at Anthropologie (case in point) but still am really looking forward to the read.



This new book features a number of Brooklyn based artists that I really admire, includes DIY projects for weaving, dyeing, sewing, knitting, etc., and teaches the reader how to set up a home studio space. I'm light years away from anything like that but love the idea anyway. Fully intend to visit the Textile Arts Center while visiting Brooklyn in the fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment