Saturday, January 5, 2013

Winter Shibori Dye

I bought this indigo dye kit to experiment with over winter break. After reading numerous diy blog posts yielding great results (Honestly WTF, The Aestate, and Folk Fibers), I was determined to try it for myself- even in the dead of winter! I ended up with a variety of patterns and about eight yards of fabric, though the kit could easily have done more.



The first step is to bind a natural fiber fabric with twine, string, rubber bands, wood boards, or whatever else you may have on hand. 









I prepared the dye vat ahead of time so that it had time to rest- the orange one is for soaking and rinsing. The dye is actually a green-yellow color that turns blue once exposed to air. This oxidization process takes about 20 min.



These are hanging on the line to dry. I tried two different batches and let the second sit in the dye for 4-5 minutes instead of 2-3 minutes. Though I repeated the dye process twice with each batch, the second turned out much darker which I prefer. 



And here is the final product. Still not sure what I will make with this fabric- maybe a top, a clutch, and table runner?

No comments:

Post a Comment