Sunday, September 2, 2012

Weaving

This holiday weekend I decided to try my hand at making a small wall hanging on my very makeshift picture frame "loom." I'm actually quite pleased with the way it turned out and have just finished hanging it on a narrow wall next to the big window in our living room.


I mostly used a variety of cotton and wool yarns in neutral tones, although there is a small portion on the right side that is made of very fine silver thread.


I found the process generally enjoyable- especially working without a pattern and it gave me the opportunity to pay special attention to the feel and texture of different yarns. Here are a few textile artists whose work I really admire: Metrode, Nightwood, Justine Ashbee.


I had all sorts of problems with this thin metal poster frame-- definitely not the most effective or time efficient method out there but it worked for my purposes and didn't cost a cent. Maybe one day I'll actually purchase or build the real thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment